Five Fabulous Floral Tips from Gold Coast Wedding Venue An Island Hideaway
Blooms to make you Boom
Beautiful blooms for your Gold Coast Wedding are a very important element to your special day and sometimes flowers can be forgotten about until the last months of planning.
As one of the leading Gold Coast Wedding venues, we’ve always advised our brides-to-be that one of the first things to do, is to think about floral arrangements. Yes, that’s right along with thinking about a date, venue, photographer, videographer so should be the thought of flowers.
Why you ask? So many reasons why! Flowers should be at the top of your thought list, and why so many brides settle for something they aren’t 100% happy with is because they didn’t think about it in the beginning. So have a look at our 5 Fab Floral Tips below:-
Flowers are a BIG part of your budget
Another misconception is that flowers aren’t a costly item and can be overlooked when putting together a wedding budget. Have a think about the following:-
- How many bridesmaids will you have and will they each have a bouquet?
- Will there be flower girls involved and if so, will they have bouquets?
- Will the groom and groomsmen have a boutonniere?
- Will you have additional arrangements for ceremony decoration for example aisle decorations?
- Are you wanting to have fresh floral table centrepieces for the reception?
- What type of flowers have you got in mind?
- Think about how you can reuse florals, aisle decorations can be used on the cake table etc
By answering these questions, you will get a better idea of how big or small of a deal your florals will be and it will help you start to pick & choose what is best for you.
Fit your florals in with your Wedding Venue
It’s all very well to want the country look wedding with those awesome cowboys boots under your white dress, but there is no point turning up with a bouquet of frangipani’s. Really think about what feel you are going for and let some of the wedding venues on the top of your list inspire you.
- Think about the type of wedding you want:- beach, garden, forest, bush, hollywood, classic, church etc
- Think about the types of venues that are catching your eye and that you fall in love with, what types of florals do they have in the natural surrounds?
- Does the wedding venue have preferred florists? A florist that works consistently with the venue will also be able to assist you as they will know what works & what doesn’t.
Choose a Florist that Feels Right
We’ve seen it happen and many other industry professionals will tell you the same…. even though Aunt Betty has beautiful flowers in her back garden it’s not a good idea to make her your florist. Remember that a florist is a professional and will also have idea’s to pitch to you, so be open minded!
- Not all florists are the same, meet with a few to determine which of their styles suits you and your special day
- Speak with other couples and get their advice about their florist
- Do you want a florist who is going to help design the reception room decorations? Or just a florist who will put together your bouquets?
- Look at other things like deliveries and extra services that may be of benefit to you
- Look at the florists who work closely with the venue you have chosen or are a preferred supplier
- If you are having a destination wedding, you are better to opt for a florist at your destination rather than your home town
Do Your Homework & know the lingo when meeting with a florist
It’s important that you have some idea of styles, flowers & lingo before you go off to meet with the florist. It can be overwhelming learning ‘floristy terms’ on the spot and will cloud your judgment. Walk in with a little bit of knowledge and it will go a long way!
- The terms for types of bouquet styles (ie cascade, posy & biedermeier & so on)
- Learn the names of flowers you like
- Think about colours you like
- The month of year you are looking to be married will determine if your chosen flower will be in season
- Look at the symbolic meaning of flowers
- If you have an idea in mind, show the florist images, drawings etc you have, this will give them a clearer idea of the look you are going for.
Remember the golden rule about inspiration vs reality, a photograph you find on instagram or pinterest can only ever be inspiration.
You’ve gone to all the effort of choosing the perfect arrangements for your day, so make sure they get to you on time!
- Organise & coordinate the delivery of your bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres – keeping in mind they will be used in photographs of you getting ready etc
- Have a helping hand for your groom if they gave bout
- Always leave them in the shade, direct harsh sun will speed up the wilting process
- Follow the care instructions of your florist, they know best!
- Don’t panic if a couple of your blooms get damaged before you walk the aisle, flowers are after all fragile and this does happen, just remove anything damaged and keep on going!
An Island Hideaway is a leading Gold Coast Wedding venue that has been in the industry for over 10 years, providing many beautiful couples with their dream beach wedding. If you would like to find out more about our Gold Coast Wedding packages, please click here.